This Spiced Apple Cupcake recipe from Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft Magazine is the perfect cosy recipe to kickstart the Autumn months. Great with a nice cuppa!
For the cupcakes:
75g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
210g self-raising flour
A generous tsp of mixed spice
2 large tbsp apple sauce
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
For the buttercream
500g icing sugar
1/2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp caramel
1/2tsp mixed spice
For the decoration
- Mix the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy.
- Sieve the flour and mixed spice together. Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time, along with a little of the flour to prevent the mixture from separating.
- Add the vanilla extract and apple sauce.
- Fold in the rest of the flour.
- Put two large teaspoons of cake mix into each cupcake case - it will make around fifteen cupcakes.
- Bake at 160⁰C for 14-18 minutes.
- Mix the butter and sugar to make the buttercream.
- Add the caramel and mixed spice.
- Add enough cocoa to give the buttercream a rich toffee colour - it shouldn't affect the flavour too much.
- Cut the apple into very fine slices and place directly onto the bars of a clean over shelf.
- Bake at 120⁰C for around an hour. Turn the oven off and leave the apple inside till cool. This should give you dried apple slices in interesting shapes.
- Pipe a small swirl of buttercream onto the cupcakes, and finish with a couple of apple pieces and a drizzle of caramel.