Gorgeous and chewy, these little treats are a mixture between a cookie and a cake – they are lovely and light too.
125g (4 ½ oz) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
275g (9 ¾ oz) plain flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
200g (7oz) golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tbsp water
4 tbsp black treacle
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C)/350°F/gas mark 4. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2. Sift the flour, ginger, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and cloves together into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg, then stir in the 1 tablespoon water and the treacle. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients to form a dough.
4. Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls and place 5cm (2in) apart on the prepared baking sheets, then flatten slightly and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes until just turning golden. Leave to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.