Foodie Flavours have become a must have ingredient in many kitchens and their Natural Lemon Flavouring is an essential. Why not try this Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe that uses their intense natural flavour in the cake and syrup. All Foodie Flavours are gluten-free and suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
175g self raising flour
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1tsp baking powder
20 drops Foodie Flavours' Lemon Natural Flavouring
Ingredients for the syrup
100g caster sugar
7 drops Foodie Flavours' Lemon Natural Flavouring
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C for fan ovens, 180 degrees C for standard ovens or gas 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin (or use a ready made loaf tin liner).
2. Place all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together either with a wooden spoon or an electric whisk.
3. Pour the cake mix into the loaf tin and bake in the oven - checking it after about 35 minutes. The cake is ready when it is golden brown, springy to touch and a skewer or knife comes out clean after inserting.
4. Whilst the cake is baking prepare the syrup. In a small pan gently heat the caster sugar and water stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly and add the lemon natural flavouring stirring it in well.
5. When the cake is baked remove from the tin (leaving liner on if possible). Place on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath (to catch drips). Make some holes in the cake with a metal skewer and paint on the syrup with a pastry brush liberally allowing it to soak into the cake.