Brighten up your coffee table with a classic and ever-popular Battenberg cake, with a simple, easy to follow recipe from Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft Magazine.
You will need
• 175g butter
• 175g caster sugar
• 175g self-raising flour
• 3 eggs, large
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• Pink gel paste food colouring
• 4 tbsps apricot jam
• 500g marzipan
Oven Temp: 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4.
Makes: 1 x Battenberg
1. Line a 20cm (8in) square tin with non-stick baking paper. Pleat the paper in the centre to form a divide in the middle of the tin.
2. Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and mix together using an electric hand held mixer until the cake batter is even.
3. Divide the cake mixture evenly in half. Add a little food colouring to one half to form a light pink mixture.
4. Add the batters to the prepared tin placing one colour either side of the central pleat. Level roughly with the back of spoon.
5. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until springy to the touch and a skewer when inserted comes away clean.
6. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
7. Once the cakes have cooled trim the top of each level using a sharp serrated knife.
8. Divide each in half lengthways to leave you with four equal sized lengths of cake – two plain and two pink.
9. Warm the apricot jam and sieve if necessary. Spread the jam on each piece of cake.
10. Assemble with one pink and one plain on the base and one plain, one pink on the top.
11. Roll out the marzipan on your work surface, lightly dusting with icing sugar to prevent it from sticking. Roll it out into a rectangle slightly longer than the length of the cake and wide enough to wrap around the cake completely.
12. Set the cake into the centre of the marzipan and spread any uncoated edges of the cake with jam. Wrap the marzipan around the cake pinching together the two edges to seal.
13. Turn the cake over so that the seam sits beneath and using a sharp knife trim the ends neatly.
14 Crimp the edges along the length of the top of the Battenberg – gently press the finger of one hand into the thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand with the marzipan edge just between the two. Serve.
Alternative finish – Battenberg looks great in red and blue!